Thursday, September 29, 2016

Day Eight: Yellowstone National & Buffalo Bill State Parks

Day eight was an early day.  We left Elkhorn, Idaho, at 4 AM 
because we were excited to get to Yellowstone.
I was on a mission:  To find more Buffalo...I mean Bison.
At Yellowstone, we'd get to see them in the wild!

"Hey, Todd, check out the sunrise!"

Zzzzz...
A four hour drive to Yellowstone, and I slept through most of it.
But I woke up just in time...

We made it!
Yellowstone is the World's first national park
The National Park Service was founded 100 years ago, in 1916.
President Teddy Roosevelt was responsible.

Such a beautiful place!  Rivers everywhere...but where are the Bison?

My first Bison!
"Is this as close as we'll get, Dad?"

A little farther down the road, things got more exciting...

An entire herd!

And pretty close, too!

Really close, actually...

Maybe too close!!!

I could hear it breathing!
It was scary knowing it could flip the car if it wanted to!
Yellowstone is beautiful, but I learned it can be dangerous as well, if you're not smart.

Time to dig into that blueberry muffin!
 
Next stop, the famous Geysers of Yellowstone!
 
My dad told me all about the geology of the geysers.
They are part of the park's hydrothermal system, which includes
hot springs, geysers, paint pots and fumaroles (steam vents).

This is at the Norris Geyser Basin.


The water is dangerously hot...

...and EXPLOSIVE!!!!

The paint pots were really cool.
Well, hot, actually.

Everyone should take time to visit Yellowstone in their lifetime!

It's amazing!
 
As we left Yellowstone, we crossed the Continental Divide.
A continental divide is a high point that splits the direction that rivers flow...east or west.

We stopped here for a quick lunch.
Quick because signs said it was grizzly country!

This area is so dangerous with bears that they won't let you tent camp.

Back on the road...heading toward Buffalo Bill State Park!

Lots of snow at the summit of the Rocky Mountains.
 
Another incredible road with gorgeous views!

Along the road are signs that tell you how old the rock is.
This sign points to 500-600 million years old stone from the cambrian period..  
One sign said we were passing through pre-cambrian stone:  3.5 BILLION years old!

As we dropped down out of the Rockies, the Aspens were glowing.
We are timing our travels perfectly for the changing Fall leaves!

In Buffalo, Wyoming, we stopped at Bud Love Wildlife Area.

It was loaded with pronghorn antelope and deer!

The view was incredible.
Bud Love is a little bit off the road, but worth the time!

Wyoming is in our rear view mirror.
Next stop, South Dakota!

SEE YOU NEXT TIME!

15 comments:

  1. Did you pee on the Continental Divide and note if your pee flowed towards the Atlantic or Pacific? That's science, dude! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad's buddy Grant took me and my wife to a place in Salt Lake that had bison and pronghorn. He tried to scare a pronghorn. It was really funny. I'll tell you about it tonight if you remind me.
    ILS out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story! So very Grant! Thanks for the pizza last night! Hanging with the kids was fun!

      Delete
  3. Say "Hi" to South Dakota for me, Todd! Looks like you guys are having a blast! I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your having a blast Todd! Keep posting all your fun trip memories so I can live vicariously through you. ����. Give your Dad a hug for me and tell him I'm glad he seems to be enjoying his retirement, he deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sugar! And thanks for the post. It motivates me!

      Delete
  5. Great pics and comments! Kept them coming!
    Did you get a Buffalo Burger or some Buffalo Wings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I had a big plate of buffal chips! The ground was covered with them!

      Delete
  6. Hey Toddy, my Wyoming business is located in Buffalo, WY. Looks like you are having a great time. Keep up the blog. I like that I get to experience your trip too.
    JD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Canadian cousins are learning a lot of US history. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! This is such a cool thing you're doing with your dad. Very beautiful! I love going to Yellowstone! We try to get up there as much as we can.

    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Todd, I am going to guess when you were in Yellowstone you learned about the Yellowstone Caldera and that you were walking on a live volcano. Great blog by the way, Uncle

    ReplyDelete