Monday, October 3, 2016

Day Fourteen: NYC and My Father's Special Words

So...in my last post we had left Pennsylvania and were faced with a choice:  Go around NYC and straight to Cape Cod or...go into the City!  It was right around noon, and it was Sunday, so we figured we'd miss most of the heavy traffic.  We went for it!

Met Life Stadium, Home of the NFL's Jets.
We were getting close!
Our first idea was to go to Hoboken, New Jersey, to look at the City from across the Hudson. 

But the City was calling us...

Lincoln Tunnel, here we come!

$15 to go through this thing?

Pretty cool!

Even cooler!

Turns out we were following a cop car.
Great light show!
The Lincoln Tunnel seemed to go on forever. 
I tried holding my breath, but couldn't make it!
We exited the Tunnel and it opened up onto...

...a sea of yellow taxis.
Dad got stuck in the left taxi lane, and that's when I got to hear
some of his special words.

I did get to see some amazing skyscapers,
but we didn't stop for pizza like we had planned.
Dad couldn't take it!

The George Washington Bridge.
The bridge so nice...

...we crossed it twice!
Dad missed a turn or two trying to get out of the City!
And I got to pay the $15 city entrance toll twice.

I hope Dad has his insurance paid up!

Ahhh...Connecticut.  This was more my Dad's style.

Across Rhode Island!

And into Massachussets.
Cape Cod here we come!

We made it to West Yarmouth, and I was starving!
Found a great little restaurant...

...with a big menu!

Had my first taste of New England clam chowder!
It was GOOD!

Found the condo.
Very nice!

Made my way upstairs...

...and crashed!
Tomorrow, the beaches of Cape Cod!

SEE YOU NEXT TIME!




2 comments:

  1. Hey Todd, you don't know me but I used to play tennis at Douglas High School and your dad was my coach. I really enjoyed reading about your dad's "special words." When we were coming back from a tennis match in Reno and your dad was driving us in a school van, one of the players spotted his mom driving through Carson and jumped out of the van when we stopped at a stop light. Your dad had some very special words when that happened! Sounds like you are having a great trip. Enjoy and drive safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny memory! I had forgotten all about that, Ted! Do they make a Prozac just for when you're driving...?

      - Goz

      Delete